Orascom – EPFC
Orascom chose Matrix to provide engineering, procurement, fabrication and construction services at its Iowa Fertilizer Company, the first world-scale nitrogen fertilizer complex built in the U.S. in nearly 25 years, which will produce nearly 2,000,000 metric tons of nitrogen fertilizers per year including ammonia, urea and urea ammonium nitrate.
2 EPC contracts awarded
Matrix Service was awarded two EPC contracts from Orascom E & C USA Inc. The first contract required the construction of two double containment ammonia storage tanks and three urea ammonia nitrate storage tanks and related structures. The second contract included the construction of the refrigeration system, pipe rack through the tank farm area, utility service piping and fill lines through the pipe rack and the earthworks associated with the first award.
The $1.8 billion plan in Wever, Iowa is on track to producing an average of up to 2 million tons of fertilizer a year.
John Hewitt, CEO of Matrix Service Company, noted that "the award of this package demonstrates the full capability of Matrix Service Company in the delivery of EPC contracts in the gas value chain. The relationship with OEC has been very positive and we are excited to expand our role on this project."
Scope of Work
- 2 double wall full containment ammonia tanks with 50,000 metric tons capacity/each
- 3 single wall urea ammonium nitrate tanks with 40,000 metric tons capacity/each
- 2 elevated concrete pile cap tank foundations poured monolithically on auger pressure grouted piles - 2,300 cubic yard each
- 3 ringwall tank foundations on vibratory stone columns
- 2 ammonia refrigeration systems in a pre-engineered building
- 2 ammonia flares
- Associated transformers, MCCs and Switchgear for the refrigeration system along with a pre-engineered building to house the equipment
- 31,000 linear feet carbon and stainless steel piping
- Containment berms and grading of the tank farm areas
- 351 tons of structural steel installation and material supplied by OEC
- 3,000 cubic yards of miscellaneous concrete foundations in addition to the tank foundations