Drummond – Company Coal Shiploader
Matrix PDM Engineering provided Owner’s Engineer and marine structural design services for the improvement of a coal terminal facility at Puerto Drummond in South America. The existing operations use near shore loading of coal into barges that are taken offshore for transloading to ocean vessels. The expansion will allow direct loading of ocean vessels approximately 1,900 meters offshore using a new conveyor system and two new shiploaders located on the new shiploader pier. The pier is capable of loading two cape size vessels at one time as well as berth two cape size vessels on the off side.
Matrix PDM supported Drummond in completing the final layout of the trestle and pier, detailed design of the shiploader pier, and detailed design of the approach trestle. A constructability review of the design was performed to confirm piles could be driven and structures could be constructed with methods available on site.
Scope of Work
- Designed marine structures for ship breasting dolphin pile structures, separate from the shiploader pier
- Designed marine piling and rail runway to support two shiploaders
- Designed shiploader pier deck to support conveyor system and traveling shiploaders
- Designed piling and deck structure for approach trestle, 1,900 meters long
- Designed abutment structure at shoreline for trestle